EverGreen’s mission is to remain ahead of the curve in recognizing and developing housing opportunities to serve the rental and homeowner population. Founded in 1995 by owner/developer Gregory McClenahan, EverGreen Real Estate Development Corporation (EverGreen) has engaged in a variety of real estate development projects serving the Upper Midwest, ranging from affordable housing to executive home sites.
A primary focus to date has been the development and management of affordable housing to alleviate the critical need for quality housing for moderate-to-low-income families and seniors in Minnesota and Iowa. We have combined quality construction and affordable rates in five communities serving families in Minnesota (4) and Iowa (1), and six communities serving seniors in Iowa as follows:
Bluff Heights Apartments, Prior Lake, MN
EverGreen Heights Townhomes, Shakopee, MN
Marshview Townhomes, Savage, MN
River Bend Townhomes, Shakopee, MN
The Rose of Ames, Ames, IA
The Rose of Des Moines, Des Moines, IA
The Rose of East Des Moines, Des Moines, IA
The Rose of Waterloo, Waterloo, IA
The Rose of Council Bluffs, Council Bluffs, IA
The Rose of Dubuque, Dubuque, IA
Cedar Pond Townhomes, Cedar Rapids, IA
EverGreen has been an innovator in many facets of development and has received recognition for its leadership in local projects, including:
- We were the pioneer in first using HUD funds available through the Minnesota Housing Opportunity Program (MHOP) to partner with Scott County Housing Redevelopment Authority in a public/private housing project to replace demolished, blighted inner city public housing with new affordable residences in suburban communities. This initiative has enabled low- and moderate-income households to find quality housing at affordable prices in the SW Twin Cities Metro area.
- We have collaborated with public and private, non-profit partners on several projects, including creation of a non-profit, childcare center adjacent to our EverGreen Heights Townhomes. In recognition for this development, EverGreen received the Minnesota Housing Finance Authority (MHFA) “Excellence in Development” Award in 1999 for its collaborative efforts.
- EverGreen’s use of tax credit funding for senior assisted living represents another pioneering venture in offering optional assisted living services to income eligible seniors, an innovation in affordable housing that meets a critical need in our senior population. EverGreen developed six licensed assisted living facilities under the Iowa tax credit program, which provide a full range of supportive services, which use of tax credits in assisted living housing was unprecedented at the time. This approach has made assisted living more affordable to the more than 50% of Iowa’s seniors who cannot afford the prevailing cost of market-rate assisted living residences.
- EverGreen more recently facilitated the provision of comprehensive home care services to residents of the Rose Communities by establishing the Open Arms agencies, which are affiliated Medicare certified, home health care agencies. Open Arms provides on-site skilled nursing, therapies and personal services to residents through the Medicare, Medicaid and Elderly Waiver programs.
- EverGreen/Rose Communities also has partnered with an Iowa-based therapy company, Northern Iowa Therapy, which will result in the availability of an on-site therapy office and therapy services and education in concert with implementation of the Open Arms plans of care for residents of the Rose Communities.
- In recognition of its industry leadership in affordable assisted living, EverGreen/Gregory McClenahan was honored in 2012 with the annual “President’s Award” by WNC & Associates, a national housing tax credit syndicator.
In addition to real estate development activities, EverGreen currently manages and markets over 600 rental units under a management contract or through cooperative ventures. Our experienced, professional staff continually explore ways to meet the ever-expanding challenges of managing and marketing rental housing. EverGreen provides congregate meals and Open Arms and its therapy partner provide on-site supportive services such as skilled nursing, therapies and personal cares to over 250 residents of the Rose Communities.